Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What's for dinner: Mahi Mahi Salad


I'm always looking for quick, easy, and healthy dinners, and since I mostly shop at Trader Joes, I like to share how I use their products. We try to eat a (mostly) Paleo diet, which takes some creativity. I don't claim to be a chef by any means, but I love sharing what I make. I hope you can use my recipes to jazz up your dinner table in a jiff!

MAHI MAHI SALAD (serves 4, one burger per person)

1 package frozen Mahi Mahi burgers from Trader Joes (or anywhere else)
1 package shredded cabbage
1 carrot, grated (or 3/4 cup pre-shredded carrots)
4 green onions, chopped
4-5 sprigs cilantro, chopped
1 cup raw broccoli, chopped

Sesame Lime Vinaigrette:

1 t grated ginger (tip: keep ginger root in your freezer, and grate frozen)
Juice of one lime
1/3 cup coconut cream 
3 T soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
3 T rice vinegar
2 T sesame oil
2 T grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
1 T honey
1 t chili garlic sauce (optional, for some heat)
pinch of salt



 Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake, or whisk well in a bowl. Put in fridge and let sit while you work on the rest.


Cook up the burgers on the grill according to the box instructions---grill, pan, or oven! Toss all salad ingredients together. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss. Place burger on top and serve.

I love Trader Joes, so most of the recipes I make include their products. Most of the ingredients can be found in other stores so I hope you try it out, even if you don't have a Trader Joes in your neighborhood! (And as long as I'm hoping for things, I hope one comes to your neighborhood soon!)

Leftovers? Here's an idea for dinner #2 or lunch the next day: Chop up the remaining fish and put it in a tortilla with some of the salad. Serve with the vinaigrette and a lime wedge for a quick fish taco. YUM. I'm going to try making tortillas out of coconut flour, so I'll let you know how they turn out!














No comments:

Post a Comment